Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Road Not Taken


I left a comment on some one's blog that got me thinking about our life.
I loved this poem when I was in high school, memorized it & have never forgotten it. However, I have never really thought of how it applied to my life as an adult until now.

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth
;
Though I did not choose this road we are on, it is definitely the one less traveled. I can not see very far ahead on the road cause there are so many twists & hidden things. Issues keep coming up and yet, we keep forging ahead.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same
,
This road does need to be walked, even if not by my choice. It is a road where the lows are very low and the highs can reach the heavens. It is a road where so many of us know how blessed we truly are- to appreciate every little thing in life and to never take any thing for granted. Just like so many women before me, I am a mother, just a different kind of mother than what I dreamed about so many years ago.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I would love to travel another road, but I never will. With all that has gone on, I will never get to go back to that place where the roads merge. To me, that place where the roads meet is where you are so naive with all the hopes & dreams one has when thinking of having children & the future. We will never have another pregnancy, another child, another chance to go to "Italy" for we have made our permanent address in "Holland".

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
.
My life is totally different. It is so many more things than I ever imagined or dreamed. It is a road I have traveled and met so many friends on along the way. I never would have met these friends if not for this other road. It is a road where I have learned who my true friends & family are. Some of them want to help me on this road, while others have left us behind to travel alone. It is a road where there aren't too many places to stop & rest, but you are able to keep going because you keep finding new, amazing things that others miss out on. It is a road that has changed me, made me into a totally different person. Because of this road, I have learned that WE (MM, DH, myself, so many other special children & their parents) are what Christopher Robin tells Pooh Bear in Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin:

You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.





May God bless all of you on the road less traveled.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, That is my favorite poem ever! Which is why it is part of my intro....I also love "Welcome to Holland" which I really need to do a post on. Thanks for getting me thinking.

jamie said...

wow...i have goosebumps. i love this post. we tried for 3 years before we managed to get pregnant, and so i worry if we will manage to do it a second time, i often wonder if i will ever get to go to "italy"....i cried when i read that part of your post. i love the new look of your blog as well.